Grilled spinach artichoke stuffed chicken is the ultimate appetizer meets dinner mash-up. Creamy and tangy spinach artichoke dip is stuffed into chicken breasts, wrapped in bacon, and grilled to juicy and crispy perfection.
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
We are all familiar with hot spinach artichoke dip as an appetizer or snack. It hits all the right flavor notes of tangy, cheesy, and creamy. I wanted to take those same flavors and turn this popular appetizer into an entree-sized portion.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the perfect vehicle for this recipe. They get all the benefits from a rich filling without taking away from the awesome flavors inside. The bacon wrap on the outside ensures everything stays tucked in tight and super juicy.
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are super simple, but I did take things to a gourmet level by making the spinach artichoke filling from scratch. To save time and steps, you can totally fill the chicken with your favorite pre-made spinach artichoke dip from the store.
Start out with the basic ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 slices bacon
For the seasoning, you’ll need the following:
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Lastly, you’ll need to assemble the following for the spinach artichoke filling:
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes with brine
- 1/4 cup cooked spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Ready to make this awesome meal? Let’s get started!
- Preheat. Preheat your grill to 350 degrees F. I like to use my pellet smoker to add the perfect amount of smoky flavor to my chicken, but you can use whatever you like. The key is utilizing indirect heat through two-zone cooking. That means that on a traditional grill, your gas burners or coals are hot on one side of your grill (the direct zone). The other half of your grill has either super low heat or even no heat at all (the indirect zone).
- Make the filling and seasoning. Make the filling and seasoning for the chicken. If you want to save some time, you can just use pre-made spinach artichoke dip for this chicken.
- Stuff the chicken. Slice the chicken breasts open (without slicing all the way through) to make a pocket for the filling. Spoon the spinach artichoke filling into each chicken breast and fold them closed.
- Wrap with bacon. Wrap each filled chicken breast with 2-3 slices of bacon. Tuck the bacon or secure it with toothpicks to keep it from falling apart while cooking.
- Grill. Cook your spinach artichoke stuffed chicken on the indirect side of your grill for around 30-45 minutes. This lets the bacon render and cook down without causing you any flare-ups from the fat dripping onto the flames. It also allows the meat and filling to cook through without burning the exterior of the bacon and chicken. Always cook your chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, using an internal thermometer to accurately read the temperature (I like this instant-read thermometer from Thermoworks).
- Serve. Once the chicken has reached 165 degrees F, remove it from the grill, rest for a few minutes (that filling will be hot!), and then serve.
Can I Cook Spinach Artichoke Chicken in the Oven?
If you aren’t able to access a grill and you’d rather cook this inside, this recipe will work great in an oven.
If you’re cooking in an oven, just follow the same time and temperature guidelines in the recipe below. Make sure you bake your spinach artichoke stuffed chicken on a rimmed baking sheet so the rendered bacon fat doesn’t make a mess in your oven.
More Grilled Chicken Breast Recipes
Did you enjoy this spinach artichoke stuffed chicken recipe? If so, check out some of my other delicious grilled chicken breast recipes:
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Recipe
If you loved this recipe, be sure to rate it 5 stars and leave us a comment below! You can also access this amazing smoked lamb shoulder recipe and over 500 other recipes on the Hey Grill Hey App.
This post was originally published in January 2018. We recently updated it with more information and helpful tips. The recipe remains the same.
Grilled Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Grilled spinach artichoke chicken is the ultimate appetizer meets dinner mash-up. Creamy and tangy spinach artichoke dip is stuffed into chicken breasts, wrapped in bacon, and grilled to juicy and crispy perfection.
Spinach Artichoke Filling
Preheat. Preheat your grill, smoker, or oven to 350 degrees F for indirect cooking.
Make the filling. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the spinach artichoke filling. (You can also use your favorite pre-made spinach artichoke dip for this recipe if desired).
Season the chicken. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the spice seasoning. Sprinkle liberally on all sides of the chicken breasts.
Fill the chicken. On a large cutting board, slice the chicken breasts open, without slicing all the way through the breasts. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the filling mixture into each breast and fold them closed.
Wrap in bacon. Wrap each chicken breast with about 3 slices of bacon. Secure the bacon ends with toothpicks, if necessary.
Grill. Place the chicken breasts on the smoker or grill, close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will take about 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
Serve. Remove the chicken breasts from the grill or oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 165mg | Sodium: 1558mg | Potassium: 635mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1119IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 219mg | Iron: 2mg